Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Knightshade®?
- Why is nicotine a problem from a regulatory perspective?
- Why should I use Knightshade?
- Who is g2 revolution®?
- What is the process that Knightshade uses to reclaim the nicotine?
- Is the Knightshade recycling process approved by the EPA?
- Where is the Knightshade recycling process offered?
- How does the Knightshade recycling process work?
- Is the same program and container used for e-cigarettes, e-liquids, gum, patches and lozenges?
- Is there a cost advantage for me to use Knightshade for recycling nicotine-containing products?
- What things should I consider in order to estimate my savings if I recycle nicotine-containing products with Knightshade?
Q: What is Knightshade?
A: Knightshade is a proprietary recycling process to help businesses manage expired, damaged or recalled over-the-counter nicotine containing products such as gum, patches, lozenges, e-liquids and e-cigarettes.
Q: Why is nicotine a problem from a regulatory perspective?
A: Pharmacies, convenience stores, grocers, specialty shops and other businesses that handle these items have to consider how to comply with federal and state hazardous waste regulations. These nicotine-containing products, when expired, damaged or recalled, are usually regulated as "acute" hazardous waste by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
A business only needs to generate 2.2 pounds (1kg) of waste nicotine-containing products in one month to trigger requirements to become a federal "Large Quantity Generator" of hazardous waste. That can cause a number of other expensive environmentally regulatory requirements to kick in — extra training, federal identifications numbers, formal contingency plans and many other actions that must be taken to comply. EPA fines for non-compliance can be significant.
Fortunately, the Knightshade process can potentially help you avoid a lot of these liabilities!
Q: Why should I use Knightshade?
A: The Knightshade nicotine recovery process allows off-spec, expired, damaged or recalled items to be handled as raw materials for our recycling process instead of as hazardous waste. This can mean a reduction in your hazardous waste generation, potentially reducing your compliance requirements and even your "regulatory radar profile" with environmental agencies.
Since the nicotine is recovered and the components are recycled, you can boast about what you are doing from an environmental sustainability perspective as well.
Q: Who is g2 revolution?
A: g2 revolution is the exclusive, independent marketer and distributor for the Knightshade recycling process.
Q: What is the process that Knightshade uses to reclaim the
A: Knightshade has engineered an exclusive process for the reclamation of nicotine from these products. To learn more about this process, please contact g2 revolution by clicking here.
Q: Is the Knightshade recycling process approved by the EPA?
A: You are expected to know the regulations for managing your products at end-of-life and develop systems that comply with them, even when recycling. Don't let anyone fool you — the EPA does not endorse recycling programs — but the agency can provide an interpretation of the regulations that might apply to recycling. In fact, there are EPA rules that can be used to recycle a nicotine-containing product in compliance with the law so as to not treat the product as waste — the hard part is figuring out how to do it!
That's where Knightshade comes in: The Knightshade recycling process has been engineered by environmental professionals and chemists with significant experience dealing with complex EPA regulations impacting the industry. Please click here to see the EPA's letter with respect to the Knightshade process.
Q: Where is the Knightshade recycling process offered?
A: The Knightshade recycling process is currently available in the contiguous United States (lower 48 states), excluding states listed on the Place an Order page.
Q: How does the Knightshade recycling process work?
A: The Knightshade recycling process does not treat these items as hazardous waste: They are treated as raw materials. For detailed information on how to recycle e-cigarettes, click here. For more information for how to recycle gum, patches, e-liquids and lozenges, click here.
Q: Is the same program and container used for e-cigarettes, e-liquids,
gum, patches and lozenges?
A: Yes, all of these nicotine-containing products may be placed in the same Knightshade collection container.
Q: Is there a cost advantage for me to use Knightshade for recycling
A:The Knightshade recycling process for nicotine-containing products may reduce your hazardous waste costs.
If your current generator status is Large Quantity Generator due to the generation of nicotine-containing products, the implementation of the Knightshade recycling process could reduce that hazardous waste generator status.
Q: What things should I consider in order to estimate my savings if I
recycle nicotine-containing products with Knightshade?
A: The following savings may be realized by reducing your hazardous waste generation and status:
- Additional costs for having to ship hazardous waste every 90 to 180 days when nicotine-containing waste is driving Large Quantity Generator or Small Quantity Generator status. (Estimated $500 to $1,000 annually per location)
- Additional costs for compliance and regulatory filings stemming from Small Quantity Generator or Large Quantity Generator status, such as additional regulatory fees, hazardous waste manifests, annual or biennial reporting, implementing contingency plans, etc., due to generation of nicotine-containing hazardous waste. (Estimated $1,000 to $2,000 annually per location)
- Increased training costs, especially to comply with Large Quantity Generator status requirements. (Estimated $200-$500 annually per location)
Potential annual savings per location $1,700 — $3,500.